Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Challenges.

Hello my name is Shae and I'm a consumer!
I love "stuff" and I do buy lots of it-more than we can afford I hate to say. I am often inspired by people who take challenges to not buy anything new for a period of time and I'm toying with the idea (after xmas of course lol). I do try to consume form nice and ethically happy type places-but in the end a lot of it is still buying stuff we really don't need. Even if it is wooden, fair trade, organic etc.
So maybe I will take the challenge for January and see what happens. Try to source some items second hand. We need a wooden change table thingo with the levels to store nappies in (and change babies on) and I would really love an old school desk with storage so Tannah can have access to her drawing things. I'm pretty sure that I can source these things second hand-well I have no choice with a school desk....

As far as food and what my family eats we need to get our bums into gear there too. Willow needs to go dairy and wheat free. The rest of us were healthier when we were vegan if I'm going to be totally honest-but I'm not sure I am ready to give eggs up just yet-especially if they come from Kate's happy chooks. But the dead animal I can do without. We spend a lot more money on the weekly shop with animal product-even if we are eating mostly organic and buying healthy snacks (making them is WAY cheaper). So come new years I'm taking that challenge again too. No dairy or meat and only eggs that are organic free range-or from the Pickle farm :-) And if Willow is off wheat the I am too cause having it in her breastmilk is not a great idea lol. And as I do the shopping I imagine that all of us will be wheat free to avoid argument.

We have put the TV back in the cupboard-we have been without TV before and it was lovely. We have a portable DVD player so if I'm desperate or Tannah really needs to sit still and chill out for an hour I can use that. TV use always seems to creep up on us. We only watch a little, then a little more and so on and soon I'm watching hours at night and the kids are watching it all afternoon. And I have issues with what TV is and how bad it really is for kids-even if it buys some peace and quiet from time to time. So we have taken on the no TV challenge!

I just feel it's time to be more true to things that I believe in and walking the walk as well as talking the talk...Wish us luck! (in the new year that is)

13 comments:

katef said...

wishing you heaps of luck.. no way I could do the no wheat or dairy thing, that is HARD.
Actually not sure I could put the TV away either (though am pleased that my children have been watching very little of late - yay us!).. and the consumer thing.. well I am a tight arse but even I have had the overwhelming urge to BUY with Christmas etc.... and your new phone has got me totally green... ho hum... luck!

Juniper said...

Good luck with all of your challenges! Does Willow have issues with Wheat? I too would find no wheat or dairy difficult - but it would definitely be worth it if it was causing a bubba to be unwell.

RE: the TV thing. Great to start the minimal tv thing early, so that when they get to be school aged and more opinionated and "ahem" assertive LOL, they already know the household's view on viewing iykwim?

We have no TV on all morning and all day until after dinner (usually around 7pm). DD is then allowed to watch either 1/2hr or 1hr depending on what is on, and then DS can watch 1 hour. He usually watches StarTrek (taped on Foxtel IQ) with DH. I really enjoy the peace we have in the house until after dinner, and the kids always find other things to do.

I admit, I would have struggled more when the kids were toddler/preschoolers (we didn't start getting strict until DD was 3.5yrs and going crazy over the TV, and DS was 6.5yrs), but am going to try my hardest to avoid TV with BDS for as long as I can (he is currently almost 16mths and hasn't watched any yet). I really don't want to go down the "Wiggles Obsession" route this time if I can avoid it LOL!

Anyway, sorry to make it "me me me" LOL, just wanted say that we definitely think it is worth it, sounds like you do too!

Hey, it would be great to organise a catch up sometime in Jan or Feb - when is your playgroup on, maybe I could make the trek?

And last thing - IMO, second hand is cooler anyway, so you will be more original and cool and save money at the same time!

Anonymous said...

So the message here is to get your operation compliant, and quickly; that celestial light you feel drawing
you nearer is actually the fast approaching deadline of
November 1. However, these days the fact is that not only the illegal drugs are
not only the source of drug addiction. Besides, you would even be provided the telephonic as well as live asses to a consultancy panel
that has been set up exclusively to listen up your queries and offer the solutions that are not vague and certainly work.


My web blog :: alcohol testing

Anonymous said...

The first type is present from birth while the second type is not,
but starts to appear and proliferate as the years pass.
This is a great font for use with winter designs as
you prepare all your Christmas artwork. The brown-slatted background in the image above really isn't part of the technique I was trying to demonstrate here.

Also visit my web blog :: compound w for skin tags

Anonymous said...

Whats up very cool web site!! Guy .. Excellent .
. Amazing .. I will bookmark your site and take the feeds additionally?
I am glad to seek out numerous helpful information here within the post, we'd like work out extra strategies on this regard, thank you for sharing. . . . . .

Feel free to surf to my web page - asthma children symptoms (asthmasymptomshq.org)

Anonymous said...

Other than that your video is as shallow as a mess. What are the things
that you need to consider with your web designer in order
to maximise your website's performance. How To Draw Ash, Step by Step, Pokemon Characters, Anime Manga.

Feel free to surf to my blog how to draw anime

Anonymous said...

However someone who wishes to apply for a passport renewal
can use a courier service and not have to be there physically.
Most people affected include; students studying abroad and business people
doing international business. This law applies with equal force regardless of whether your
husband was a UK citizen before 1 January 1983 or after 31 December 1982.


Stop by my site - how to get a passport in massachusetts
:: http://howtogetapassporthq.org :
:

Anonymous said...

If you are looking for the most suitable bowtie for a particular event, visit Tiecoon.
Cable ties used in the food industry are characterised by their blue colour, and they will also contain a metal additive meaning they can easily be
detected by metal detectors used in the food industry.
With this is mind, it's no surprise that men's fashion has seen the re-emergence of the bow
tie on to both the high street and the catwalk.

Feel free to surf to my web blog how to tie a tie knot (http://howtotieatiehq.org)

Anonymous said...

(Click here to learn more about overtraining) This step also includes motivation and dedication.
In my years of experience, when I bulked up and gained weight and fat,
the biggest mistake I made was not tracking what I ate.

Those who think obesity is due to their genetic makeup relish any news that 'fat genes' have been
found as they look to blame something else for their predicament rather than their own
habits and behavior.

My web site ... tips on how to gain weight fast [http://howtogainweighthq.org]

Anonymous said...

It is more like a homepage with navigation to your
other pages on the site, along with eye catcher so your visitors stay on your site.
There are millions of websites published over
the Internet and your site will just be another addition.
However, the design elements can still be kept same, without affecting the user experience a great extent.


my blog post - how to make a free website for free

Anonymous said...

I believe that is one of the most important info for me.
And i'm satisfied studying your article. But should remark on some basic things, The site style is great, the articles is in point of fact nice : D. Just right process, cheers

Here is my homepage; best allergy medicine for post nasal drip

Anonymous said...

of course like your web site however you need to take a look
at the spelling on several of your posts. A number of them are rife with spelling issues and I in
finding it very troublesome to inform the reality then again
I'll definitely come again again.

Review my web blog; cheap insurance for young drivers - -

Anonymous said...

Hello my loved one! I wish to say that this post is awesome, nice written and come with almost all important infos.

I would like to peer more posts like this .

Feel free to surf to my blog; special occasion full figure dresses

Related Posts with Thumbnails