Sunday, December 14, 2008

Homeschool.

Yep-we plan to. But it's one of those emotive topics that I find myself skating the edges of with people at times if I can't be bothered with the "why???" You don't have to have a million reasons for choosing what kind of school you send your kids to-public, private, steiner, boarding etc, but when you choose homeschooling you seem to get a lot of people getting their hackles up.
I get the impression that some think I am trying to keep the kids at home with me forever and not let them experience "the real world" or that I just can't let the control I have (ROFL!!) over the kids go. In reality it is far simpler than that.
My husband and I just think that home is a better place for kids learn and thrive.
But saying that brings up images of keeping them away from the population at large and having weirdo shut in kids. Anyone who actually knows what our life is like and how much stuff we do-with other people!-knows that we would all go crazy living like that.
But I do understand it isn't a decision that a lot of people make. Super cool with me. As a parent it is your decision as to how your children are schooled (or unschooled lol) but sometimes walking the road less traveled exhausts me with the explaining. And some topics I can talk about til the cows come home and some I have to be in the mood.
I never shut up about homebirthing, co-sleeping, breastfeeding and other topics-even though some may not agree or think I'm strange. But homeschooling, vaccination and diet are some of the ones that people seem to get their knickers in a twist about and instead of agreeing to disagree want to challenge your choices. I'm all for a conversation about different views on things but I really hate it when people take how we are raising our kids personally-so sometimes I just don't have the energy to go there and I skirt the topic, or change it.

So if you see me next year and ask when Tannah is starting kinder.....the answer is, she isn't. She's homeschooled. Say it proud sista!

1 comment:

katef said...

You gotta learn yourself some cryptic comebacks...
"When is she going to school? She's so smart she's been busy learning for years already..."

Related Posts with Thumbnails