Friday, July 10, 2009

Body love

I just stepped out of the shower, saw my body in the full mirror & had a really good look. And for the first time in a really long time I loved what I saw.
For those who dont know me in real life I'm 30 years old & overweight. But what's not to love about my body? It's loved me.

I've abused it with drugs, alcohol & crap food over the years. I've starved it, overfed it & it's run on poor fuel. I've put uncomfortable clothes on it & hated it.

But it's always loved me back.

In the last 5 years I've carried my 3 children & fed them from my breasts. I've been breastfeeding for 4 years with only a 4 week break just before Willow was born.

When I looked in the mirror I saw soft rounded edges instead of just fat, I saw where my belly is all puckered & stretched from pregnancy as a miracle that my girls grew in there. I saw my big, saggy breasts as being well loved comforters for my kids, heavy with milk. Instead of wishing to be thin I was thinking about how best to nurture the body that has nurtured me & my kids.

I might not be a size 10 but that doesn't mean I should hate my amazing body. The more I love it & the better I treat it the healthier it will be I'm sure.

Anyway, my husband thinks I'm awesome :-)

2 comments:

Stitch Sista said...

Lovely lovely.

Most days I feel the same, but it's a work in progress...

In the mirror, I love it - it's when I try to squeeze it in to too tight jeans that it gives me the irrates lol.

Juniper said...

Lovely post Shae. I always strive to have the same feelings about my body, and have more success some days than others. I agree with Stitch Sista, in the mirror naked, I always think "not that bad!" but trying on clothes sometimes makes me more negative.

But I a working on it! Thanks for such a positive post!

Related Posts with Thumbnails