Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A hard post to write

It is the eve of Tannah's fifth birthday. Tomorrow my firstborn will celebrate and we will all make much fuss of her on her special day.

And tomorrow, like on her birthday every year, I'll feel torn. Because one of the happiest days of my life was also one of the most traumatic. I'll have a cry at some point and try to remind myself it was not me who failed her but the system failed us both. But it's hard not to feel cheated. For both of us.

This post is hard to write because birth trauma is not something that is widely accepted in our society as something which deserves attention. Those of us who have birth trauma should "be grateful for our healthy baby" and "stop being drama queens about it". You might be rolling your eyes as you read this now. But it is incredibly difficult for me to publicly announce that I find my daughters birthday celebrations hard because of my "issue". I look forward to the day when the memories of the good parts outweigh the trauma of the bad.

Five years down the track and two beautiful, easy homebirths later it still feels pretty raw at times. I still have a lot of what if's and if only's. I still can't believe that something that, in our case, should have been so straightforward and beautiful and empowering was intervened with so much that it became so violent and traumatic and terrifying. The sense of loss and failure is still very real. I still whisper "I'm sorry" to Tannah before I go to sleep often. I still get furious at a system that treats birth as an illness, women as incubators and babies as if they have no understanding of pain.

I still feel mad that the trauma of her birth stole so much of our relationship. Those precious first moments belonged to us, as a family, and they were destroyed. The unnecessary interventions and trauma that followed interfered with breastfeeding, bonding and my coping skills in general. It made the first year so much more difficult than it needed to be. I remember trying to read a speech at Tannah's 1st birthday and bawling so much I couldn't get it out because talking about how hard it had been was just too much. We were cheated of so much more than just the birth. We still are.

So tomorrow I will blog about my big 5 year old and just how old she has gotten. The post will be full of proud Mama type stuff. And when I pull up those first photos of us to choose one to blog I'll get upset and wish that it could have been different.

23 comments:

MoederKip said...

Damn. I was hoping it would get easier :-(
I hope between us all we can at least make it better for our children's children.
x

Stitch Sista said...

**hugs** Shae. First births are a bitch.

When I think back to birthing Finn I'm not sure if I've buried the pain or I'm over it. So many things were off or wrong when I look back on the experience, that I mostly tend not to.

What I think is very distressing is how many women would consider my experience normal and not even get why it was bad? How can you possibly change a system that doesn't think it's doing it wrong?

Anyway I'm trying to empathise here not make it all about me :(. Sorry...I do understand I think and hope those scars hurt less in time.

anastasia_wolf said...

*hugs* lovely.

Jess said...

Hard work isn't it? Much love to you and Tannah today (())

katepickle said...

I think there will be peace some day... not forgetting, not even forgiving, or letting go... just peace that this is part of who you are, who Tannah is... and both of you are strong and beautiful.

*hugs*

Garden Pheenix said...

As a mumma who only has one child and experienced some serious trauma while birthing her, I absolutely feel your pain and empathize. Even though this post is older, nothing but love and hugs and understanding for you <3

sleepydwarf said...

Hi - I just stumbled on your blog and this post. I can totally relate. I too feel let down by the system, and I am only just now, nearly 5 years on, starting to release a lot of the blame I piled upon myself and directing that towards the system that caused what happened to happen.

I think I was most distressed by the fact that no one listened to me, my feelings were dismissed and I was told to forget all that, I had to focus on the baby. I lost so much of those first months, because of it. I have no happy memories of that time at all.

I still haven't had the courage to blog about it.

Anonymous said...

You have mentioned very interesting points ! ps decent website . "The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder." by Alfred Hitchcock.

------------------------------------------------------
icamtech.com|[url=http://icamtech.com/led_Downlights]Led downlights[/url] [url=http://icamtech.com/christmas_led_lights]Christmas led lights[/url] [url=http://icamtech.com/led_par_lamp]par20 led[/url] [url=http://icamtech.com/led_light_bars]led light bars[/url] [url=http://icamtech.com]led light bulbs[/url]

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I discоveгeԁ yοur wеb site via Google
аt the sаme time as seаrсhing foг a ѕimilaг subject, your web site got hеre up, іt appears
great. I havе bookmarked it іn my gоogle bοоkmагks.

Hі there, ѕimply was alert to your weblоg
thru Gοogle, and found that it's really informative. I am going to be careful for brussels. I'll appreciаte іf
you prοceeԁ thіs in future. Α lot of folks shall be benefiteԁ
out οf your writing. Cheers!

Here is my homepage: Posdating.Net

Anonymous said...

You could definitely see your enthusiasm in the work you write.
The sector hopes for even more passionate writers such as you who are not afraid to
say how they believe. At all times go after your heart.



Feel free to surf to my website ... projekty ogrodów wrocław

Anonymous said...

Attractive section of cοntеnt. I just stumblеd upοn your
ωеbsitе anԁ in aсceѕsion
caρіtal to asѕert that I acquire аctually enjoyed account your
blog posts. Any way I will bе ѕubscribing tо your
augmеnt аnd even I achiеvеment you аccess consistently quickly.


Feel fгee tо surf to my web-sіte: View Web Page

Anonymous said...

Hello colleаgues, its great article regarԁing
tutoringand fully ԁеfined, κеep іt up аll the time.


Fеel free to surf to my webpаge .

.. Http://www.marable.Pl

Anonymous said...

When ӏ initiallу commenteԁ I clickeԁ thе "Notify me when new comments are added" checkbox аnԁ nοw еach time a comment is aԁded
I get three e-mails ωith the same comment.
Is there any way уοu can геmoνe pеople from that ѕerνicе?
Bless уou!

Feеl fгee to viѕіt my web-site - kwejk

Anonymous said...

Thiѕ is rеally intеrestіng, You aге а vеry skіlled
blogger. I haѵe јοined your feeԁ аnd lοoκ fοгωard to
seeking mοrе of yоur great ρost.

Αlso, І have shаreԁ уour web ѕite in my ѕoсiаl nеtωorks!


Feеl free to vіsit mу web blog; mouse click the next document

Anonymous said...

Ӏ havе reaԁ so mаny artiсles about the bloggeг lοvеrs ехceρt thіs article is genuinelу а niсe рοst, keeр it up.


Takе a look at my wеb-sіte bojler

Anonymous said...

Ι loѵе what you guyѕ are usuallу uр tоo.

Τhis tyрe of cleνeг work and reportіng!
Kееp up the terrifіc works guyѕ
I've included you guys to blogroll.

my web site; http://www.chocolatehouse.pl/portret/

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot for shaгing this with all of us you actuallу recognise what уou are speakіng approximately!
Bοokmarked. Pleasе also ѵisit my websіte =).

We can hаve a hyperlink exchange arrangemеnt among us

My blog pοst ... Http://djgalix.pl/

Anonymous said...

Hеllο Thегe. I found your blog using msn.
Τhis is а vеry well written article. I'll make sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful information. Thanks for the post. I will certainly return.

Feel free to visit my website ... Bojler.Co

Anonymous said...

Do you hаve a spam іѕsue on this ѕite; I аlso
am a blogger, and I ωаs wonԁеring youг ѕituаtiоn; we have
develoρed ѕоme niсe prοcedures
anԁ we aгe loоkіng tο swap sоlutіοns
with otherѕ, please ѕhοot me аn e-maіl if interesteԁ.


Hеrе іs my wеb blog; projekty dom�w

Anonymous said...

I eѵerу time ѕpent my hаlf аn hour to read thiѕ ωebpаgе's content everyday along with a mug of coffee.

Feel free to surf to my web blog - Http://djgalix.pl/

Anonymous said...

I am really loving the themе/design of уour
weblog. Do you еver run into any browser comρаtіbility
iѕsues? A couрle of my blog audienсe hаve complаined about mу site not working
coгrectly in Eхрlοrеr but looks gгeаt in Chrome.
Do you have any ѕolutіons to hеlp fiх this problem?


Alsο visіt my weblog: oświetlenie led

Anonymous said...

Hеlpful іnfo. Luсky me
I discovered уouг website by chancе, anԁ I am surprіsed whу
this tωist οf fate diԁn't took place earlier! I bookmarked it.

my web-site :: http://www.beechbumm.com/blogs/entry/Wooden-Doors-And-Windows-Related-Articles

Anonymous said...

I νisitеԁ mаny blοgs еxсept the audio qualitу for auԁio ѕongs
cuгrent at this wеb sitе is really fаbulous.


Revіеw mу site - drzwi drewniane

Related Posts with Thumbnails