Tuesday, May 4, 2010

unloading

Now that I have given myself the right to complain I need to unload some issues I'm having.

The last couple of days have been really challenging for me. I usually find having 3 young children is not all that stressful and I enjoy the day to day of motherhood. Yesterday it seemed my coping skills went AWOL. I was not enjoying their company, I was feeling incredibly stretched and all the mess was making me twitchy. It felt like their requests for my help were relentless, the fighting didn't stop and I was completely ignored every time I said something. Not to mention the youngest swinging between clinging and whinging. I just wanted to run and hide.

I did a pretty terrible job on the parenting front yesterday. I was snappy, rude, I yelled, I shamed, I did not listen to the kids at all. I felt like I had nothing left in my reserves and resorted to being the kind of parent I am usually making stinkeye at. Of course the kids responded in kind by ignoring me more, clinging more and yelling right back at me.

I'm hopeful that today will be better. I'm going to ignore the mess until Luke gets home and I might go for a walk with just my ipod.

5 comments:

Confessions of a Girl said...

Oh my, that was my day yesterday too!!! i felt soo stretched and on the brink. i try so hard to keep my cool and not be like my folks.but yesterday the kids wouldnt even let me go to the bathroom,or bathe the toddler.it was a crazy day...

Leah said...

I find those days, for me, are mostly always hormonal, the feeling of the tank is just plain old empty - can even happen when circumstances aren't unfavourable! Because somedays no matter what shit is thrown your way as Mum, you can just get on with it, or over the bad feelings pretty easily, even have a laugh! I think survival mode in empty tankent moments (like you said, ignoring the mess) is the best thing to do!

Leah said...

tankent = tank, dunno what happened there lol

Rachael said...

Ah suckage. Hope today is better. Or at least getting better.

I know this isn't stellar advice, but a glass of wine can take the edge off ;)

Kestrel said...

Oh dear, I hear you. Lots and lots of supportive love coming from me x

Related Posts with Thumbnails