Monday, June 14, 2010

Serenity, strength and wisdom.

I am not religious in a christian sense but I've always liked this prayer.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference."

Words to live by right? I'm trying to apply this to a few areas of my Mothering that I'm struggling with..

-I can't change the ages and abilities of my children, but I can change my outlook towards it.
-I can't make Harper sleep any better at night but I can go to bed earlier to catch some more sleep myself
-I can't keep trying to make the whole "meal at dinner time" thing work when it is clearly causing more upset than it's worth. I can look for other ways for us to spend time together as a family and different approaches to keeping bellies full and me not chained to the kitchen.
-I can't change the amount of money coming in but I can change the way I spend that amount.
-I can't expect to have a clean house all the time with small children and a puppy. I can learn to let things go that aren't important.
-I can't get time alone to exercise every day but I can get it a couple of times a week.
-I can't be perfect but I can give myself a break and do the best that I can.


I'm playing along with The Byron Life for Monday Mama.

4 comments:

katepickle said...

Well I reckon you have the wisdom part down pat!

Naomi said...

Love your last one - about giving yourself a break - something us mum's need to more of! That is real wisdom seeing things as they really are. Love it! so needed to read that today. Thanks

Megan.K. said...

I love that saying. Words to live by alright. I really like your list - there's quite a few on there I'm trying to practice right now - especially that first one.
Changing my outlook has involved changing my unreaslistic expectations of, for example, the way my 3yr-old "should" behave!

Thanks so much for joining in today with such a thoughtful post.
x

Pod said...

I totally agree with all your points, I think all of us should have that written in our houses somewhere for when we get caught up trying to be too much to too many and trying to live up to unrealistic expectations

Related Posts with Thumbnails