Tuesday, August 10, 2010

"Real" Women

That phrase shits me no end. Only "real women" have yadda yadda yadda. Really? Because I thought all women were "real".

You know what real women have?

Huge breasts, small breasts, saggy breasts, perky breasts. They are thin, fat, athletic, curvy or not curvy at all. They have all kinds of body hair, or they choose to remove as much or as little as they like. They wear make-up and bras. Or they don't. They jog, do yoga, swim, play cricket, football and do ballet. Or they do none of those things. They are loud, quiet, sensual, confident, shy and even mentally ill. Some are in wheelchairs or have one leg or are blind or are completely physically able. Some have long hair, short hair, dreadlocks, braids, colour their hair or maybe they just trim it every 10 years. Some wear a burqa, or a scarf, or a cross around their neck or have no outward sign of their faith. Or no faith at all. They have tattoos and piercings, or not or maybe just earrings. They are tall, short and everything in between. These women are white, black, yellow, olive or any other colour you can imagine. They love men, women or both. Some women are men.

Real women are Mothers, children, aunts, sisters, friends, lovers, grandmothers, matriarchs, exes, enemies.

I'm a real woman, and you are too.

5 comments:

Jasmine said...

It's so frustrating when we're told that "this is what you are. Or are not", isn't it?

I'm trying to decide if I'm a 'mummy blogger' because I'm wondering if that means I can't blog about anything else?!

Labels are poo!

anastasia_wolf said...

Yep yep yep!!

jonni said...

Thank you!
I'm a wee slip of a thing with 3 lanky kids. The insinuation that my lack of curves makes me less of a woman is highly insulting >.<

Spiralmumma said...

Fucking right on *Applauds*

Naomi said...

Love this post :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails