Thursday, September 16, 2010

Natural enemies of the school-free Mama

Photobucket

-Crafting. You know what I'm talking about. Glitter glue, googly eyes and getting the hurry up on using up the toilet rolls as quickly as possible so they can be transformed into masterpieces. Special “treasure books” made up of cut up magazines that must be treated with the same reverence as the Dead Sea Scrolls. I think kindergarten was created so Mamas would not have to sweep up offcuts and glitter while cleaning paint off the walls.
-School tour groups. We love the zoo and the museum, we go to both of those places often. I seem to have a special radar for choosing the exact time to be somewhere to collide with 150 kids and 4 teachers who all stand in front of us.
-School holiday time at the library. Where have all the good books and movies gone?? And what's with all the people there?
-Great friends who send their kids to school. Wreck our social life why don't you? At least we can spend lots of time with them over the school holidays when there are no books and movies at the library.
-School uniforms. Tannah wants one because they are “awesome”. I think I'm going to get her one. It sure is going to make those “why aren't you at school?” conversations at the shops a whole lot more interesting.
-The internet. I could spend all day being inspired by other school-free families and their adventures. And then I could put it on Facebook, or tweet the author, or blog about it. Leaving precious little time to do said activity I was so excited about or connect with my children like said article inspired me to do.
-Children who are not gifted. Recently Willow was asked what the sum of 3 + 5 was. She answered “bird”. Hey, she's 3 and I was surprised anyone would think she could answer that, but apparently if I'm “hot-housing her at home” she should. Who knew huh?
-The abundance of awesome activities out there. So many to choose from it hurts my head and overwhelms the kids. Must remember that “doing not much at home” is a valid and necessary activity.

4 comments:

Stacey said...

Yep yep yep yep yep.

Kestrel said...

That IS the funniest post I've read in a long time. Love it, love it, love it. "Bird" LOL

Mer said...

I love this! Damn those friends who send their kids to school, and ease up on the loo paper!

Marita said...

We part time home school and if I dare show up at the shops on a school day with either of my daughters we inevitably run into one of the school parents. Then there is always the interrogation about what are we doing at the shops when we should be locked up at home schooling? Ummm not all schooling takes place chained to a table and chair and schooling one child at home takes heaps less time than 20 kids in a classroom.

Love the 'Bird' answer. My 5yo would do something like that :D I often say having a conversation with her is the verbal equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting.

Related Posts with Thumbnails