Sunday, October 17, 2010

A concert!

In my life before children I liked to go see bands. A lot. Part of the reason I chose Melbourne over anywhere else when I decided to leave the Gold Coast was the music scene. My ex was actually IN a band and Luke loves live music as much as me. I went to the Big Day Out festival for 10 years straight and part of my weekly wage went to gigs and CD's (in the olden days before iPods).

The last gig I went to was to see Magic Dirt at the Prince of Wales. I'm pretty sure that was the night I got pregnant with Tannah. That was over 6 years ago.

I have missed seeing bands but kids and pregnancy have not made it easy to just pop out of a few hours to a loud bar. I was looking forward to a time when it was possible to get back into the occasional gig. When Powderfinger announced their final tour I jumped on the chance to go.

Luke and I lined up his parents to mind all 3 kids and he took the day off work as it was on a Friday afternoon and we had to drive over an hour to get to the venue. Exciting times.

We woke on Friday morning to rain. Lots of rain. And it was cold! Did I mention that this was an outdoor event?? I felt really nervous about driving all that way in crappy weather, but we pressed on. By the time we got there it was still raining and the temperature had plummeted. I looked up the local temperature on my iPhone and it said with the wind chill it was about 1 degree. In spring. Truly.

Here is us lining up to get in
Photobucket
Ponchos are cool right?

But by the time we got in there the rain had stopped and it was under a huge tent. I must say it's the first gig I have ever been to where I wore a parka and beanie the entire time!
Photobucket

We had an AMAZING night. All the acts-including the supports Paul Dempsey and JET -were brilliant! We danced, we sang, we made the "wwooooooooo!!"noise after songs. We enjoyed each others company without the kids.

It was really nice to be at a place where I'm not knee deep in babies and was able to do something with just Luke and I. It was kind of a milestone for us :)

5 comments:

Rachael said...

Yay!

G and I fell in love over music. He begged me not to sell my spare Jeff Buckley ticket...I saved it for him and the rest is history. So anyways I totally know where you are coming from!

People always say we see a lot of bands, but it's probably a tenth of what I'd like. I hope we do it until we're old and grey :).

jonni said...

Good on you! I'm seeing Metallica tomorrow night, can't wait!

Sazz said...

Oh how i miss the days of gig going!

You and i have excellent taste in music, btw ;)

Clare said...

Yay, so glad you posted about it. VERY jealous over here, hehe
So pleased you had a great time :)

Missy Boo said...

Sounds like you guys had a great time :)
Problem for me is that the parentals always want to come too and then I need to hunt elsewhere fo sitters *sigh*

Related Posts with Thumbnails