Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Unschooling, tidiness and rhythm

I think a lot of people hear the label "unschooling" and immediately think "chaos". At our place that is absolutely not the case.

I am a fairly organized and tidy person. I think anyone who has been to my place knows I like minimal stuff kept in some sort of order. This does not mean we live in a museum that is not child friendly, but everything has a place and it means that the kids can find and access what they are looking for pretty readily. As we still have a baby around the place it also means I can keep inappropriate things in high places for the big girls to do when Harper is asleep or I am able to supervise and help fully.

Photobucket

At the end of each day I pack up. Sometimes the kids join in, sometimes they don't. After a lot of soul searching and deschooling I came to a place where I was not getting pissed off at the lack of help. The tidiness thing is my issue and I think it's part of helping them learn by keeping a house that is uncluttered and user friendly.

We also have no set times that things must happen, but we certainly have a rhythm. I always liked the Steiner idea that life has an in and an out breath. I really agree that naturally we seek to live like that. Seeking outward stimulation and activities and then resting and having downtime. This rhythm seems to happen of it's own accord for us and the in and out breath is both a daily and weekly happening.

I think that it is a misconception that most unschoolers also "unparent", leaving the kids to their own devices with no outside help and no rhythm to their life. Certainly there is enormous room for flexibility and unschooling will look different in each family but it doesn't have to be chaos and disorder.

I'm joining in (a day late!) with Owlet for Unschool Monday. Check out her link up for other ideas.

6 comments:

Kestrel said...

Ah, I love the inbreath and the outbreath. Unlike you, I lack those lovely cupboards in which to pack so much away. I covet them!

Lauren said...

Ha! I've just sorted our craft cupboard and now it looks as lovely as yours ;) couldn't agree more on the tidiness and rhythm.

Anonymous said...

Do you mind if I quote a couple of your posts
as long as I provide credit and sources back to your webpage?
My blog is in the very same niche as yours and my visitors
would certainly benefit from a lot of the information you
present here. Please let me know if this okay with
you. Thanks!

Here is my blog ... Toronto home equity loans

Anonymous said...

Good day very cool site!! Guy .. Excellent .

. Superb .. I'll bookmark your site and take the feeds also? I am satisfied to seek out numerous helpful information right here within the post, we want work out more techniques in this regard, thank you for sharing. . . . . .

Here is my web blog - learn more here

Anonymous said...

I blog quitе oftеn and I гeally thank you for уour cοntent.
Τhis aгticle has really peaκed mу interest.
I will take a nοte of youг website anԁ keep cheсking for new ԁetails
about once a week. I οpted іn for yοuг Feed too.



Loоk at my hοmepаge: cheap legal highs

Anonymous said...

Wow! Finally I got a blοg fгom where I
know hоw to reallу obtain helpful facts regarding mу study and knowledge.


Here is my page ... cheap legal highs

Related Posts with Thumbnails