Sunday, March 13, 2011

Grateful

Lat night I was watching some of the upsetting footage of what is happening in Japan and there was an image that I have been unable to shake from my memory.

There is a young girl, who looks like she is Tannah's age, and she is being carried by a soldier into a rescue helicopter. She is not crying but you can tell by the look on her face that she is terrified. There is destruction around her and she is being held by a stranger and I can't help but see this image as a mother.

I couldn't help but see my dear, sweet and sensitive Tannah in that girls face and I wondered how I could protect her from that. I couldn't help but get a pain in my heart knowing how upset my daughter would be of that were her. And I felt a bit sick thinking of how I would feel if it were a soldier carrying my child to safety and not me or Luke, who would be able to whisper soothing words.

Last night I was the last one awake. I went in before I went to bed and kissed Tannah and Willow like I always do. I rearranged the sheets, moved pointy toys away from faces and kissed each child on the forehead. A bit later I was lying in bed in between my husband and Harper and I was listening to them breathing.

I was overcome by the most intense feeling of gratitude.

All of my children and my husband were sleeping soundly and safely under our roof. We were not afraid or unsure of the whereabouts of each other. We were warm and comfortable and unhurt. We were not displaced from our home or hungry.

I have so very much to be thankful for.

4 comments:

Deb G said...

So beautifully said, Shae.

loz said...

<3<3 Beautifully put

Stacey said...

So, so true.

SquiggleMum said...

Yes, the situation in Japan makes me truly grateful for what we have here too. Gives life a little perspective, huh? See you on the weekend!

Related Posts with Thumbnails