Thursday, March 17, 2011

I'm not packing the Mama guilt

I'm going to the Aussie Bloggers Conference tomorrow. For me going to the conference means traveling to Sydney for 48 hours. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned it a bazillion times over the last few months. If you follow me on Twitter you are probably bored with the topic unless you are going too.

I'm in the midst of packing (no mean feat since we only got back from home ed camp this afternoon!)and I've got clean undies, a magazine and a super cool outfit on the list to bring. It might surprise some of you that I'm not bringing any children. Not even the one who regularly features being photographed attached to my boob.

I have ummed and ahhed and felt happy with my decision and worried about it. To many Mamas who parent similarly to me it might seem out of the question to leave such a young child at home, especially one who is being breastfed. I must admit, if it was any of my other children at a few weeks of 2 years old I would be taking them. But Harper is Harper and part of her intense personality is fierce independence. That and I'm pretty sure that Luke is her favorite.

I'm taking a breast pump to keep my supply up though the alcohol content of my milk over this weekend means it will end up down the sink. Which pretty much means my plan to just use my besties actual baby who will be there too as a pump is out the window. I am a little concerned that Harper will wean. I will be sad if our breastfeeding relationship ends abruptly, but Tannah weaned very quickly and she was only a few months older and, after tears, that worked out fine.

One thing I'm definitely not bringing to Sydney is the Mama guilt. I have had moments of feeling guilty for "abandoning" my kids for the weekend to do something just for me. I have decided.....fuck that. The girls are being looked after by their incredibly capable Dad and they will be more than fine. 48 hours without breastfeeding Harper is unlikely to impact our relationship dramatically. And finally why shouldn't I do something that is just completely and utterly for me every so often?

iPhone? Check. Camera? Check. Berocca? Check. Mama guilt? Nuh uh, you stay at home.

3 comments:

Toushka Lee said...

yay you! leave it at home. see you at conference.

Deb G said...

Yay for you!!! Mama guilt is overrated. And yes you deserve some totally Shae time! H will be fine.

Hope it's an awesome weekend.:)

Spiralmumma said...

Very glad there's no room in your suitcase for mama guilt-that shit is toxic! :) Have an awesome time. I'm so jealous!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails