Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Slow cooker chicken stock and old-school chicken soup

There is nothing like eating hearty, home-cooked comfort food when you are unwell. My Old-School chicken soup is not fancy or hard to make but it's very nourishing. It's my take on my grandmothers recipe and it's easy to add a little extra punch or pizazz if you want to but I know it's been enjoyed as it is in my family for at least three generations.

An important element of a good soup is a good stock. I make my stock in the slow cooker after our roast chook on a Sunday night. I throw the carcass and ingredients in after dinner and wake up Monday morning to a pot of stock.

Slow Cooker Chicken Stock

1 free-range chicken carcass
1 brown onion
1 whole leek
1 carrot
1 celery stick
1 bay leaf
splash of vinegar
salt and pepper

Put all of these things in your slow cooker and cover with water. I chop the onion in half and cut the leek so it fits but that's about it. Put the slow cooker onto low and leave overnight or for about 10-12 hours. Allow to cool and strain the big bits out by tipping the liquid into another container through a colander. Then strain the liquid again through a very fine mesh sieve.

Photobucket

And that's it! Chicken stock! Freeze into whatever portions you like or use for the soup.

Old-School Chicken Soup

8 free range chicken legs-poached, cooled and meat removed
2L chicken stock
1 leek, white part only finely chopped
1 large carrot finely chopped
1 large potato finely chopped (I'm partial to dutch creams)
1 handful of rice
salt and pepper
tablespoon of butter

Photobucket

Melt butter in a large pot and add the leek and cook until transparent. Add the carrot and potato and coat in the leek and butter mix. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Add the chicken, salt and pepper to taste and cook for 10 minutes. Add the handful of rice and cook for a further 5-10 minutes over low heat until the rice and vegetables are tender. Serve piping hot with a buttery roll-add a tablespoon of cream if you wish.

Photobucket


Enjoy!

16 comments:

Kristy Chip said...

I love my slow cooker for its stock making ability... I'd never made such flavourful stock before using that method! Might go and put a pot on now... : )

Marita said...

Oh yum. I love home made chicken stock. So much better than store bought.

amandab said...

Sounds delicious, and I had never thought of using the slow cooker to make my stock!

Wonder if Miss 4 will have this as she won't eat my chicken soup. I usually have celery, swede & turnip in

Deborah said...

Looks so yum. Yes, nothing like hearty home-cooked comfort food! :)

Anonymous said...

I totally understood, you have brushed your teeth and then you find
out that the brushing has not done a proper job. Using only
the genuine batteries is also must for the best performance.
ideal for CIA agents,police,detector,and spy agency,Support PC Camera.



Visit my web page ... best electric toothbrush

Anonymous said...

Because of a variety of positive aspects, this braun electric shaver can even serve
as a very special gift idea for your special person.
Our systems are protected with locks, mostly vellus
locks (which is smooth nearly unseen hair) and to a smaller level rougher locks in specific places of our systems.
The challenge is, you need to dispense tons of the stuff to buy a comfortable shave, which
often gets pretty pricey.

Also visit my page :: electric shaver trimmer

Anonymous said...

Thankfully a sensor was developed that played your favorite obstacle avoidance song,
so people could stop texting or talking on their
cell phone to apply the brakes, then listen to see
if they were too late. I make that for the family, but not too much, every
few months. There are actually more affordable styles with
cast iron plates but I recommend you not buy
them, mainly because Teflon surfaces are just that much easier to
clean.

Stop by my web blog waffle maker review

Anonymous said...

5. The two shows this year have been advertised as:.
That is of course, unless it is at the expense of someone else.


Feel free to visit my weblog - http://e1h1push.com/profile-20174/info

Anonymous said...

Since the repairs includenew subflooring, extensive roof and ceiling repairs, a
new heater system,rewiring the building to code, attaching
screens to all the windows, replacingtwo doors, new plumbing pipes as well as vermin extermination I think it’sreasonable
to assume that we will leave things as this letter states.
Make sure the room has proper ventilation. It's been years since I've played, but tonight at the Thermal
shelter I played with a few people for an hour.

Here is my homepage: portable heating units

Anonymous said...

Purchase from local manufacturers if possible; if not, purchase direct
from the manufacturer to ensure the most freshness - all-natural beauty products don't contain chemical preservatives, so their shelf-life may be shorter than their conventional chemical-filled counterparts. Flaxseed is a good choice. Apricot: Apricot is the base ingredient of cosmetic scrubs due to its natural exfoliating properties.

Here is my web-site ... herbalife aloe vera juice

Anonymous said...

Here are a few tips to help prevent and quickly clear up acne breakouts using natural, organic skin care products:
1) Wash your face gently two times per day with warm water and a mild soap such as a goats milk soap.
Take good care of yourself. Common ingredients in
natural and organic skin care products and their uses:.



Also visit my page: http://www.redolive.com.au

Anonymous said...

That last item will be your special personalized gift that is
irreplaceable. You could substitute a cheap plate for the
charger. The staff person I talked to thought it would be best for me to come
into the store so that I could review their whole list
of birthday party crafts, each with a different cost.

Feel free to visit my weblog; it-nav.hu

Anonymous said...

One kind of shaver has different ways on how you must shave.
We're wired into the system. Braun electric shaving razor released a self-cleaning function, which allows for a mess of the Court.

Also visit my weblog; electric razor cleaner

Anonymous said...

Internal memory: Yes. It has been seen many a time that
brushing teeth with a manual brush may cause the
gums to bleed. Henderson Cosmetic Dentist.

Also visit my web blog web-directory.mobi

Anonymous said...

You could add just a little low-sodium chicken broth
to prevent the breasts drying out. (This include adding salt and pepper for taste) And lastly, put the mixed ingredient into
your pepper and put it into the slow cooker. These
types of cookers range in size from one quart all the way up to a nine quart size.


Also visit my blog http://www.underdogsonline.com/member/20021/

Anonymous said...

I really like it whenever people get together and share opinions.
Great blog, keep it up!

Feel free to visit my website; Minecraft Crack

Related Posts with Thumbnails